Friday, October 20, 2017

A New Job and different Life

Ever feel like you were bored at home, too much quilting time and needed a job?? You know, for socialization?
No, me either.
But my husband thought that we should start saving for dual retirement and that is a hard thing to do on one income. And one spender on quilty things.

So, he volunteered me for a job!  A FULL TIME job!  In my prior life, before kids, I was a C.P.A.  I've been home now for 23 years.  I think I forgot most of my Accounting, but he thinks I can do anything, so I'm now fully employed, doing "accounting" work again.

The past 12 months have been an adjustment. A Father-in Law's death, a son moved out, another son pronounced with Crohn's Disease, and a new full time job.  Did I forget to put quilting in there?  No, I have been busy figuring out how to make dinner and clean house in my spare time.  I used to have all day to do those things!  I thought I was just organized, now the real humbling story is.... I just had a lot of time available.

My quilting left off with this project still on the design board:

And, I was ready to start with the smaller log cabin squares for the outer edge.  I cut my left over strips too small, and threw them away, and never went back to the room!  Yes, sometimes a mistake is enough to derail a whole lot of motivation.

Today, I stepped in the sewing room and decided I would at least make a small accomplishment.

And, here they are. the tiny little center squares for the tiny squares.  Makes me feel like some progress is finally happening!
But, just so you know that I have not been totally giving up: I started a new project a few months ago, that didn't tie me to the sewing room.  I have started a Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt!
Yes, it will be a lifetime of hand sewing baby 1/2" flower petals.  It is something I can do in the evening while sitting downstairs with my husband.  It is not at all something in the Quilter's Academy at this stage, but I have really wanted to do something like this for a while.  It will end up someday as a full size quilt for the guest room. Here is my first batch completed.
I think I will need about 500 of these baby flowers before I can piece it together for a bed quilt.  Life time project, yes indeed!

And, just to prove that quilting is not going to be a major part of life any more, we filled the bonus room with a new addition.
I thought this room would make a great play room, back when the kids were home.  Never got around to buying the table. It was always on the "some day list".   More recently I was hoping sooner than later I would make this room my quilting room. George takes up the right side just outside of the picture.  Seems lots of things have gone back to the past!   Ping Pong anyone?  Its a FUN game :)


No comments:

Post a Comment