I've been working on my quilting samples as described in Heirloom Machine Quilting.
The page of examples was on my last post.
I started with the first ones and worked my way through drafting them onto the muslin. I quickly found that my geometry skills were sorely lacking. I finally figured out how to draw all but 2 of them. The two remaining ones I will be skipping since I cannot figure out how they work. They are neither 30, 60 or 45 degree angles and do not run from a corner to corner. So, I have concluded that I would never bother to re-create that much angst by choice.
I changed my presser foot to a wide open foot to help with the puckering (my Dual Feed works with any of my feet), and proceeded to layer the pieces with my new safety pins. Here is my wide foot and pin style. I actually had many more pins in there, but took them out to change method. This was just a "staged" photo!
This is the major problem I was running into with the quilting. When I got to the pieces that had crossing lines, the first line puckered badly and the whole thing was a bit puckery. I decided pins were not my friend. Besides, they were too big to fit between the lines (even in those BIG squares) and I'd have to take them out as I went. I call that a Pain in the Bu..behind.
QuilTak left too big of holes in fabric, I thought I would go for the safety pin method. After doing several pieces this way I cannot see that the pin holes are any smaller than the ones left behind on my QuilTak gun. In fact, there are 2 for every 1 of the QuilTak's. And, it is SO much easier to baste with the gun and taks. Also, the Taks fit perfectly between lines, even when they are very small squares or lines! And... The quilting ends up SO much nicer! Take a look!
As soon as I have finished all 16 of these, I will get back to my border and my bird quilt project. Until then.... Have a great Spring Day!